Contact Us  |  Locations


What type of implants are women using?

Silicone Breast Implants for Louisville Breast Augmentations are on the rise.

From 1992 until November of 2007 Saline Implants were the only choice available for women considering augmentation in the U.S. The moratorium on the gel implants was lifted at that time after satisfactory safety data was submitted to the F.D.A.

In March of 2008, sales of the implants were still tilted in favor of the saline variety. About 55% of implants being used were saline and the other 45% were the silicone gel. In just a little over a year the ratios have basically flip-flopped. Now sales show about 60% of women are choosing silicone gel implants and 40% saline.

My practice stats show its about a 50:50 split.

I think a couple of important points are 1) that silicone implants are proven safe and a nice addition to your choices if you are considering augmentation and 2) that both implants are good, safe devices each with its own merits.

Lee Corbett, MD

All posts on this blog are presented by Kentucky Breast Implants surgeon Dr. Lee Corbett

Comments are closed.